Before you even open your eyes, the rhythmic sound of the sea enters your consciousness. You stretch blissfully as a sunbeam tickles the tip of your nose. You breathe in the warm, earthy smell of the humid air and look around in astonishment: no alarm clock, no cars outside the window – instead palm trees, bobbing boats and parrots.
What is going on there? Today you definitely did not wake up in your city apartment! Your growling stomach reminds you that it's time for breakfast. Luckily there is a bowl of fragrant rice and bright yellow mango pieces next to your bed. Good morning in paradise!
Authentic streetfood breakfastMango sticky rice is a specialty from Thailand that may not be a substitute for travel, but it can mentally beam you far away. The Thais love the sweet rice pudding very much and actually enjoy it on every occasion: as a kick start in the morning, as a hand-held streetfood snack in the afternoon or as a fruity dessert in a thousand and one variations.
Today we will show you the basic recipe. For the ultimate holiday feeling at the breakfast table, you only need a few ingredients on which everything depends. So choose them carefully.
- 50 g Thai sticky rice (from the Asia shop)
- 350 g canned coconut milk or cream
- 30 g sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- ½ very ripe, juicy mango
- a dash of sesame to sprinkle on
Easy peasy steps:
- Rinse the rice thoroughly until the water no longer becomes milky and cook it as described in the instructions. Thais let the rice soak for six hours before cooking which makes it creamier.
- Place the coconut milk or cream in a pot and heat it carefully while stirring constantly.
- Add sugar and salt and keep stirring until both are dissolved.
- Pour the mixture of coconut milk and sugar one spoon at a time onto the still hot rice.
- Peel the mango and cut it into pieces.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds over the rice and serve with the mango pieces as desired.
Tip: Why not take your breakfast out with you? Now in the late summer it is still mild in the morning and you can enjoy a small breakfast picnic without much preparation. For this, put the sticky rice in the main container of your muki snackpot. Put the topping into the lid compartment and leave it there till you're ready to serve. Do not forget the spoon!